Friday, September 17, 2010

Preparation...

While hang gliding it is very useful to be able to communicate with your friends, other members of your team, and your ground crew.  We typically use 2-Meter HAM radios for the excellent range and the availability of quiet, restricted channels.  While flying it is common practice to call out areas of good lift to other pilots, let your retrieval driver know where you're heading, or to let everyone know that you've safely landed.

Building a backup PTT headset...
To communicate we use a special helmet rig known as a "PTT" (Push To Talk) set.  PTT technically refers to the a switch that activates the microphone when pressed (push the button to talk), but we use the term to refer to the entire setup.  Generally a full PTT set consists of a microphone and speaker that are tucked away into the lining of the helmet and a small button that pilots mount on their glider, gear, or finger that is pressed to activate the microphone.  We use a button to activate the microphone rather than voice-activation (or VOX) because the voice-activation almost always results in unintended transmissions.  I wear my PTT button on the side of my helmet.



So, last night's big task was to build myself a backup PTT set.  These things are pretty fragile and it can be very frustrating to be standing on launch trying to fix your radio or headset!  I ended up with a complete backup set and a bunch of spare wires and PTT buttons!

My helmet smelled like feet.
After the building my backup PTT headset and wires, it was time to start inspecting my gear, checking my batteries, and, surprisingly, cleaning and airing out my helmet because it smelled a lot like an old, dirty sneaker.  Can you imagine flying for four hours with a stinking shoe on your head?  I can't... sure am glad I tried it on before leaving for the competition!

Tonight I have to inspect my harness, pack my gear, load my jeep, and get some sleep!

No comments: