Monday, September 27, 2010

Days Six and Seven - Blown Out, Rained Out, Done.

Day Six - Pretty, but dangerous.
Day six was called due to unfavorable wind conditions and a dangerously turbulent landing zone.  It looked like it could have been a great cross-country day (and it was - epic for some of the folks who launched from Lookout Mountain), but during the Team Challenge we tend to be a little bit more conservative. 

Day seven was a long, cold, rainy mess.  We held out for as long as we could in the hopes that the weather would turn and that we would be able to squeeze in one more competition day, but the cool drizzle never really stopped.  Many of us launched and landed in the heavy, buoyant air, but nothing was scored and there was no chance at really going up.

Day Seven - Yuck.
Saturday night ended with live music, an award ceremony, pulled-pork sandwiches, and beer.  Lots of beer.  A whole keg of it!  I stayed for the awards ceremony then headed home as the band started up again.  I was tired and the forecast for Sunday promised rain, so I decided I'd be happier in my bed and that I could use Sunday for unpacking, washing, then repacking in preparation for my move to Chattanooga.

All in all, it was a wonderful learning experience.  I didn't score very well and never made goal, but my first two attempts were pretty amazing and I know I'll never forget the cows!  Special thanks to my team ("The Ollie Oops!") driver, Lori, for being awesome, to Dennis Pagen and Mike Barber for invaluable instruction, to Ollie for being an incredible mentor and team leader, and, most of all, Dean Funk for going out of his way to help me figure out why I wasn't thermaling well.  Dean - you rock. 

I am disappointed that we only had three competition days, but I did learn a lot and I plan to be back up in the air to apply that knowledge as soon as I can be.  Next year is only a year away and I can't wait!  Hopefully I won't qualify as a "C" pilot again...

Thanks for reading.  If anyone is interested in learning more about the sport of hang gliding please send an email to kreebog@gmail.com and I'll gladly answer questions, find a school for you, or help you in whatever way I can. 


James Dean
H-3
kreebog@gmail.com
KJ4RPB


1 comment:

crystal.travel6 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.