Sunday, September 19, 2010

Day One

It was a beautiful morning that started with the wind blowing lightly over the back before turning around and puffing warmly in our faces just before the task committee gathered to determine todays goals:  
Wrong way, windsock!
  • C Pilots: Henson's to Dale's
  • B Pilots: Henson's to Dale's to Galloway.
  • A Pilots: Henson's to Dale's to Galloway, to Dales
As a C pilot, my task was simple:  Fly to Doctor Dale's and land there, about 8.5 miles south of launch.  It was a pretty easy task and I was feeling confident, but when I launched I found myself in a washing machine with no clear or cohesive lift to turn in.  I chased ghost thermals (warm, twisting, upwardly mobile air currents that gliders can ride up into the clouds) all over the valley, never finding one that was strong or coordinated enough to carry me upward.  In the end, I landed well in the primary LZ and immediately started breaking down my glider so that I could try again.

The second flight was better, but only by a very little bit.  I found more lift to work with, but none of it had staying power or much inclination to take me up and, about seven minutes later, I was in the primary Landing Zone again.  Frustrated, hot, and tired, but 10 points richer for the second try.

Dennis Pagen gave some landing instruction, while
Ollie Gregory reviewed the weather forecast
I would say that about half of today's twenty competitors were able to get up and make a reasonable attempt at goal and of the half that didn't there was a surprisingly large number of skilled pilots.  It was a tough day and those who sank out should not feel bad while those who made it up should feel great!

I am looking forward to tomorrow - it may be a Whitwell day and I'm determined to get enough sleep tonight and to really be on the top of my game tomorrow morning.  I've learned a lot already and hope to turn my knowledge into some big, big air time during tomorrows tasks.  Wish me luck!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wishing you loads of luck and more committed winds.

Unknown said...

You sir rock hard and free!
Love you man, good luck!!